Tuesday, June 21, 2011

2011 Field Season Pompeii

Hi all,
well I am back at home in my favourite place, Pompeii. The 2011 field season has begun and we have now started working in the scavi. This is just a short note to let you know that we have started and I will post a longer blog and some activities for my students tonight when I get to download my first photos of the season.
Let me tell you that it is certainly a different start to last season. No cold snap or rain; 30 deg temperatures from the moment I hit the ground in Italy.The pool here at the hotel has already become welcome relief after a days work. We got our work permits with no issue or hold up this year which also has been great. Interestingly, I feel that the tourist numbers seem down. Been relatively quiet in the scavi so far this week.
Our work this season will see us in some exciting properties. The House of Julia Felix, Chaste Lovers and Julius Polibius, The House of the Surgeon and House of the Vestals. The team is also now two teams, one completing remediation full time.
This season I am leading a photo team for the Remediation team. More to come tonight.